Sebile Magic Swimmer?

General Questions

Sebile Magic Swimmer?

Postby Wild Bill » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Loved your Cape Cod striper show. We fish up there each July. Purchased some large Sebile Magic Swimmers to try when the stripers are on bunker in winter in NC. Just got back from two days with stripers on top under crashing gannets. Cast the large Magic Swimmer and had a 34 pound striper on the first cast. Took the middle and rear hook off like Patrick did on your show. At least half of the time the front hook caught the leader. Could avoid it by thumbing my Curado 301 pretty hard on the last third of the cast. This cut down distance. Trying to think of a better remedy. Thought of using only the rear hook (even though stripers tend to hit the head of bait) or weighting the rear of the plug. We have other lures that work well, but always like to try new stuff. The Magic Swimmer does have an enticing action.

What do you suggest for keeping the hook from grabbing the leader on the cast?
Last edited by Wild Bill on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Bill

Re: Sebile Magic Swimmer?

Postby Henry Schmidt » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:37 pm

Ive had that same trouble with Spro BBZ Shads and TT Swimbaits. I learned that I needed to cast swimbaits on a rod with a more limber tip section i.e. a swimbait rod compared to a MH or Hvy action rod.
Henry Schmidt

Postby Wild Bill » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks Henry, but not sure that is the problem. I just had several custom rods made for winter fishing. I cast the Magic Swimmer with both a spinning rod and a plugging rod. The rating on these rods is 1/2 to 2 ounces and they seem to load up and flex pretty well. If the tips were any softer they would be overloaded with those big plugs. The casting rod was easier to control because you can thumb it to stretch out the line at the end of the cast. I am looking for a way to modify the hooks or weighting of the plug itself to make it cast and stay tail first.

We did not catch any 50 to 60 pound fish this trip, but I saw some monsters chasing the bunker that made the 46 pound fish we did catch look small. When you get in a situation like that, you do not want fouled plugs which ruin the cast. Most days that surface bite with huge fish only lasts so long and you have to maximize that time. The Magic Swimmers are beautiful and tough plugs with great action. I hope to be able to come up with a way to cast them without fouling.
Wild Bill

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:22 pm

What I think is happening is that the bait is hitting the water nose first, causing line hook-ups frequently. I suggest that you thumb feather the line just before the MS hits the water. You can also do this with the spinning reels by hand cupping the spool at the last few feet.

Doing this will turn the bait so it hits the water tail first, away from the line. Problem solved.

Let me know if that does not work for you.
So much water, so many fish, so little time!
aka anglinarcher

Location: Just 25 minutes from Toledo Bend. See the Big Grin in my face!!!!

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:12 am

hi guys
gee, I've not had that problem at all. I'd have to look at hook size, number of split rings and also quite possibly what aka suggests.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:48 am

Thanks Larry. The head of the MS does often hit the water first unless, as you suggest, you thumb the spool. It seems, at least for me that you have to thumb it harder than usual.

Do you think weighting the tail would help or would that ruin the action?
Wild Bill

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:49 am

weighting the tail would destroy the action. The only time you have to stop it is 6" before it hits the water!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:15 am

Ok, thanks Larry. I will stay with it. Perhaps I got a little excited seeing all those big fish chasing bunker on top. Will be after them again the first week in March.
Wild Bill

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:42 pm

I use the Magic Swimmer a lot for my Bass and oversize Brown Trout, and if I get too excited I get the nose first impact and tangle. This is not the only bait that does this.

I learned how to thumb it that last 6" as Larry indicated, and trust me, I don't think I could enjoy fishing nearly as much if the Sebile Magic Swimmer was no longer available. LOVE IT.
aka anglinarcher

Postby rbenash » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:33 pm

Larry, folks any colors of the magic swimmer that tend to work better for the CC stripers? Wondering whether anglinarcher removes hooks when using them for bass and if there were colors that worked better. Thinking of adding a couple of these to the arsenal this season both for my trip to CC for stripers (ponds for bass) and for river fishing in PA for smallmouth.

On the show, can't remember if Larry changed the front hook/size nor how many split rings and size you used?

Any info would be appreciated.

Ray
rbenash

Postby dahlberg » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:21 am

Hi R
We tried lots of colors, but it didn't seem to matter one lick if we had the speed and trigger moves right!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:09 pm

I let the fish tell me what to do regarding the tail hook. Most of the time, with Bass and Walleye, I remove the tail hook. Most of the time when I fish for Trout, I leave the tail hook on.

If my hook-ups are on the front hook, then I will remove the tail hook so it is easier to remove the hooks. If I am getting a lot of tail tugging going on, then I install the tail hooks.

I had this issue last Saturday with large Browns and Rainbows using the Soft Sebile Magic Swimmer. Because it comes with only the one front weedless hook, I was getting tail tugged by about half the fish. I gave up some of the action and modified the bait with a single hook in the tail and the game was on. :lol:

Removing the tail hook increases the action. Adding or increasing the size of the tail hook reduces, or even kills the action, so, in general, removing the tail hook is a good thing while adding on depends on what the fish are telling me.
aka anglinarcher

Return to General Questions